For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 09001051
The MacCallum More and Hudgins House Historic District, located in Chase City, in Mecklenburg County, features a museum and gardens created by the Hudgins family throughout most of the 20th century. The Colonial Revival-style Hudgins House was built in 1910 by Virginia Supreme Court Chief Justice Edward Wren Hudgins and his wife, Lucy Morton Hudgins. In 1929, they built MacCallum More, a new house located across the street from their earlier residence. The house was designed by Richmond architect Carl Lindner in the Colonial Revival style. The six-acre property also includes a guest cottage, a museum, and extensive woodland landscapes and display gardens. The Hudgins family contributed much to the Chase City community through their civic activities with the ultimate gift being MacCallum More, its gardens, and the museum and its art collections.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 4, 2018