Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

196-0001 Dickenson County Courthouse

Dickenson County Courthouse
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 07/20/1982

NRHP Listing Date 09/16/1982

NPS property number 82004553

The Dickenson County Courthouse is a Colonial Revival landmark in the heart of the Commonwealth’s coal-mining region. The courthouse was originally built in 1894. The construction of the Carolina, Clinchfield, and Ohio Railway in 1915 initiated increased coal mining and timbering in area and created significant prosperity. That same year the courthouse underwent extensive improvements with the present facade was constructed from the design of Roanoke architect H.M. Miller. The original 1894 section was razed in 1972 and replaced by a modern wing. The courtroom on the second floor behind the three arched windows was left intact.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018