Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

210-0004 Dublin Historic District

Dublin Historic District
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 06/17/1992

NRHP Listing Date 10/15/1992

NPS property number 92001369

The town of Dublin came into being in 1854 when the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad established a depot where the rail line crossed the Giles and Pulaski Turnpike. The settlement became a center of commerce and transportation. As such, it served as a Confederate army supply link during the Civil War, over which the 1864 battle of Cloyd’s Mountain was fought. The district’s earliest buildings date to the mid-19th century but the majority were built following the Civil War into the 1920s with its heyday occurring in the early 1900s. Today a community of some 2000, Dublin preserves an unhurried, small-town quality with a mix of unassertive commercial and residential architecture. The houses are generally free-standing, single-family structures in shady yards. A principal landmark is the 1913 Norfolk and Western Railway depot, a low wooden building marking the heart of the district.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018