The architectural highlight of the county-seat community of Floyd, the simple Greek Revival Floyd Presbyterian Church is a product of the 1940s Second Great Awakening which spread Presbyterianism into southern and western Virginia. Energized by this activity, the Floyd congregation erected the present building in 1850. It was built by Henry Dillon, an Irish immigrant who grew up and trained in Charleston, S.C. After moving to Floyd County, Dillon built several buildings in the area including a now-demolished courthouse. As was the practice among country builders of the day, Dillon relied on a pattern book for many of the details, in this case The Practical House Carpenter (1830), by Asher Benjamin. The church, the oldest public building in Floyd County, remained in continuous use by the Presbyterians until 1974. Since 1992 the Floyd Presbyterian Church building has served as a Masonic temple.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark