For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 06/13/2001
NRHP Listing Date 05/16/2002
NRHP Reference Number 02000523
Located on a prominent elevation on Main Street in the courthouse town of Floyd, this imposing 1849 Greek Revival house was built for Tazewell Headen by Henry Dillon, a master craftsman from Ireland. Headen’s son-in-law, commonwealth’s attorney and newspaper editor Henry Lane, later inherited the property and took up residence there. After Lane’s death during the Civil War, Dr. John Stuart, the brother of Confederate General J. E. B Stuart, rented Glenanna. In keeping with the style of the house, the monumental single-tier, two-story pedimented Ionic portico and small second-floor balcony were added in the early 20th century by the widow of Thomas Howard, a Civil War surgeon who purchased the Floyd County house in 1870. Glenanna’s surviving dependencies from the antebellum period include a kitchen, smokehouse, and dairy.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: May 4, 2022