The Renaissance Revival Buchanan County Courthouse in the town of Grundy indicates the importance given to law and order when the county was experiencing its early coal-mining rush. Built of rough-faced locally quarried stone, the courthouse is the fourth courthouse to serve Buchanan County since its formation in 1858. Lending distinction to the building as well as the town is the slender corner clock tower. The courthouse was designed by Frank P. Milburn of Washington, D. C., and completed in 1906. Milburn’s firm was responsible for several other courthouses in Southwest Virginia and also supervised the 1917 reconstruction of the Buchanan courthouse interior, after it was gutted by a 1915 fire which consumed much of Grundy. The Buchanan County Courthouse received major additions in 1949-59 and 1984.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark