This finely appointed residence was built in 1899 for Edward Nichols, a local lawyer and businessman. Designed by Washington architect Lemuel Norris, the dwelling, located in the Leesburg Historic District, combines elements of both the Queen Anne and Colonial Revival styles. The original architectural drawings and specifications attest to the architect’s talent, high standards of quality, and attention to detail. Norris made reference to the area’s Federal style with his use of splayed stone lintels and keystones. The interior has dignified but restrained Georgian Revival woodwork, including delicately ornamented plasterwork ceilings. The house survives in an excellent state of preservation, having escaped any significant alteration. The property also includes a laundry, storage shed, gazebo, and a carriage house with a water storage tower.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark