Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

259-0162-0055 Red Fox Inn

Red Fox Inn
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 03/19/1997

NRHP Listing Date 11/13/1997

NPS property number 97001403

One of the Virginia hunt country’s best-known landmarks, the Red Fox Inn occupies a site used for a tavern since the 18th century. Rawleigh Chinn, who originally owned the land on which Middleburg developed, reputedly built a tavern near this intersection in 1728. The present stone building may incorporate earlier fabric but was mostly constructed in 1830 for Nobel Beveridge, who stated in a newspaper advertisement that year: “A new House of Entertainment has been built. . . With all the rooms comfortable and well-furnished. The subscriber’s bar is well-appointed with choice liquors. . . ” Beveridge’s tavern since has been remodeled and enlarged several times. Its present appearance, largely dating from a 1940s renovation by local architect William A. Dew, is designed to attract its clientele with an old-fashioned ambience. The tavern has since become an area institution and remains a fashionable venue for lodging and repast.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018