For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 13000989
The C.P. Jones House and Law Office, located in Monterey in Highland County, is an evolved dwelling with Victorian elements that has at its core a two-story log structure built around 1850. The log building may have functioned as the first tavern in the area, and according to local tradition it may also have served as a courthouse before the county courthouse was completed. In 1873, Charles Pinckney Jones purchased the property and began making additions and exterior finishes in the then-current Late Victorian architectural style. He also had additional outbuildings constructed, including his law office. Jones practiced law in Highland and surrounding counties, and served as a delegate and a senator in the Virginia State Legislature, and on the board of visitors for the University of Virginia, which elected him rector of the university. The property retains several contributing secondary resources including a mid-19th-century brick springhouse site and a frame smokehouse and apple cellar, both built about 1900.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 4, 2018