Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

286-5007 The Tabernacle/Fireman’s Field

The Tabernacle/Fireman’s Field
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 03/18/2010

NRHP Listing Date 05/28/2010

NPS property number 10000308

The Purcellville Tabernacle/Fireman’s Field, built in 1903, traces it history back to 1878 with the formation of the Prohibition and Evangelical Association of Loudoun County. At the time of its listing, The tabernacle, a one-story, eight-sided, 3000-seat auditorium, was one of the few remaining historic structures in Virginia built to accommodate summertime religious and reform revivals. Surrounded by a large park-like area that offered the perfect venue for religious festivals, as well as gatherings for speeches, fairs, and sporting events, the Purcellville Tabernacle is located in a town that thrived after the arrival of the railroad in the 1870s. Purportedly the largest single building to accommodate the public in Loudoun County prior to construction of Dulles Airport, the tabernacle’s visiting speakers have included William Jennings Bryan and evangelist “Billy” Sunday.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated February 7, 2019