Toms Brook School, constructed in 1935-36, was designed by Luray architect James R. Mims in a Colonial Revival style. During the first half of the 1930s, Shenandoah County undertook a construction campaign to replace older and damaged schoolhouses with new buildings; Toms Brook High School was the last one built under this program. The school’s unusual design—the entry leads to an auditorium that occupies half of the floor space, with a corridor and classrooms lining the other half—and its fireproof construction make it an interesting variation on school architecture for the period. Mims also designed a cafeteria for the school that was completed in 1952.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark