For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 12/07/2005
NRHP Listing Date 02/01/2006
NRHP Reference Number 05001581
Constructed 1905-06 by E. M. Fulton, the eighth Commonwealth Attorney of Wise County and a community leader, the Fulton House is a prominent historic landmark at the center of the Town of Wise. It is among the oldest and finest residences in the Appalachian coal mining region of far southwest Virginia. The house, exhibiting the most fashionable design embellishments of its time, features projecting bays; seven gables; early Colonial Revival characteristics that include a dentil cornice and Doric-columned front porch (changed to Ionic capitals since registration); and elaborate late-Victorian interior woodwork and stained-glass windows. The Fulton House property is surrounded by a finely-crafted stone retaining wall, with a metal gate and stone steps leading from a sidewalk to the main front entrance. The house is remarkably intact, in spite of its immediate proximity to one of the busiest intersections in the region.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: September 15, 2021