Located at Wilson Boulevard, Lee Highway, and North Veitch Street and built in four phases between 1935 and 1940, the sprawling Colonial Village complex in Arlington County exemplifies the early application of innovative garden-city planning to low-density superblock development for low- and middle-income renters. The complex is also an early illustration of the clustering of apartment units around spacious landscaped courtyards, the separation of pedestrian and automotive routes, the use of an interior greenbelt, and staggered setbacks for increased ventilation and light. The nation’s first large-scale Federal Housing Administration project of insured rental housing, Colonial Village was a model for subsequent FHA-backed projects. Developed by Gustave Ring, Colonial Village since has served as a prototype for many of America’s town-house developments. The first three phases of the Colonial Village complex were designed by Harvey Warwick of Washington, D.C.; Frances Koenig designed the fourth phase.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia