One of the twelve Boundary Markers of the Original District of Columbia to survive in Virginia, the West Cornerstone marker is significant because it marked that boundary location for the original District of Columbia. This Aquia sandstone marker is located in one of the most attractive settings of all the boundary stones, a miniature park that was purchased jointly by the city of Falls Church, Arlington County and Fairfax County in 1956. The West Cornerstone marker is surrounded by a wooden rail fence in a residential neighborhood with a walkway from Meridian Street and white bricks set in the ground to mark the southwest and northwest boundary lines.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark