Located in the rear sideyard of a private residence on Powhatan Street in Arlington County, the Northwest No. 1 Boundary Marker of the Original District of Columbia is barely visible from the road. The mile marker is significant because it marked the first mile on the northwest side of what was then the Virginia boundary with the District of Columbia, one mile from the West Cornerstone. The marker was noted in an 1894-97 survey of the boundary markers that part of the top was broken off. The Northwest No. 1 Boundary Marker was listed under the Multiple Property Document (MPD) form for the Boundary Markers of the Original District of Columbia.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark