For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 04/28/1995
NRHP Listing Date 07/28/1995
NRHP Reference Number 95000927
Though devoid of architectural embellishment, this plain structure has been a community amenity since its completion in 1921 for the newly developed commuter suburb of Cherrydale. Cherrydale was one of several such suburbs, including Ballston and Barcroft, that sprang up in Arlington County in the early decades of the 20th century. The Cherrydale Volunteer Fire Department was formed in 1898 but had no specific fire house until the present one, Arlington County’s first permanent fire house, was built. The building was paid for by the purchase of individual bricks. President and Mrs. Woodrow Wilson each purchased a brick during a fund-raising drive. The fire house also offered space for a movie theater, specialty shop, and community center. The structure, a prototype of other area fire houses, continues to serve its original function, now part of the consolidated Arlington County system.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: March 6, 2021