Clarendon School, constructed in 1910 and renamed Matthew Maury School in 1944, represents the evolution of public education in Arlington County. The three-and-one-half-story, Classical Revival-style brick building was designed by noted Richmond architect Charles M. Robinson. Reflecting the architectural fashion of the day, the design called for the use of projecting front bays, pediments, Palladian windows, keystones, and a wooden portico with Tuscan columns to create a handsome example of a school building of the period. Built at a time when Arlington County’s increasing population made it the primary suburb of the nation’s capital, and located in the Ashton Heights Historic District, the school served as the Clarendon community’s sole elementary school until 1973.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark