Located in the Ballston-Virginia Square neighborhood of Arlington County, the Monroe Courts Historic District is part of a significant Washington, D.C. commuter suburb. During the 1930s the D.C. area grew significantly as people arrived to fill civil service jobs opened by the federal government’s New Deal programs. Constructed in 1938 by Clarence Gosnell, Inc. in concert with architect John D. Cobb, the Colonial Revival-style Monroe Courts offered affordable row houses of high quality to house an influx of new suburban residents. Due in part to zoning that soon prohibited row houses after the construction of Monroe Courts, the Monroe Courts Historic District stands out as one of the few early- to mid-20th-century row house developments in Arlington County.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark