Bunting Place represents the construction methods of the early-19th-century Eastern Shore with its timber-frame front and rear walls and brick ends. Merchant-planter Solomon Bunting constructed this Accomack County house in 1826. He bequeathed it to his son, Thomas Bunting, upon his death in 1850. Thomas maintained the family’s mercantile business and home until he sold it to William S. Hope in 1870. The exterior of the house has maintained its original beaded weatherboards, and the interior is marked by extensive original woodwork and has been repainted with its original colors and faux graining as determined through paint analysis. Projecting from the southeast gable end of the dwelling is a series of three historic additions culminating with the attachment of the summer kitchen. Contributing to the property are two outbuildings, a gable-front wooden barn and a corn house. The site also has four marked burials of the Bunting family.
[Slide credit: Paul Touart, 2002]
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark