The Pitts Neck dwelling house, probably built before 1756 for Robert Pitt, IV, is one of the Eastern Shore’s more prominent mid-18th-century plantation houses. Chief among the interesting features of this formal, five-bay brick house is the scrolled soffit of the molded-brick doorway, a motif common on Georgian buildings in England but exceptionally rare in America. The doorway, along with other brickwork details, combine with the interior paneling and an earlier wing with a T-shaped chimney to make the house a document of colonial building motifs. Now somewhat isolated, this Accomack County plantation was once the scene of much activity. A tobacco warehouse was operated by the Pitt family in the 18th century at the plantation’s Pocomoke River landing, which remained a regular stop for Chesapeake Bay steamers as late as 1924.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark