For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 06/02/1970
NRHP Listing Date 09/15/1970
NRHP Reference Number 70000781
Known as Pungoteague Church until 1800 when its name was changed to St. George’s Church to conform to its parish name, this much-changed building is the only colonial church remaining in Accomack County. According to the vestry book, St. George’s Episcopal Church was built by Severn Guttridge in 1763. It originally had a Latin cross plan with a hipped gambrel roof and a rounded apse which resulted in the early nickname “Ace of Clubs Church.” Abandoned in 1812 but later restored, the building was so mutilated by Union troops during the Civil War that only the north and south walls—the ends of the transepts—could be salvaged in 1880 when it was rehabilitated. The south wall of St. George’s Church, now the present façade, survives as one of the state’s most beautiful examples of glazed-header Flemish-bond brickwork.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: June 1, 2022