Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

001-0050 Wharton Place

Wharton Place
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 04/18/1972

NRHP Listing Date 11/03/1972

NPS property number 72001378

John Wharton, a maritime merchant and native of Accomack County, had this Federal mansion constructed shortly after he purchased the property in 1798. Wharton made his new home the headquarters of his various business interests and maintained a landing for his ships on Assawoman Creek, within sight of the house. With its graceful exterior proportions, lavish use of marble trimmings, and rich interior plasterwork and woodwork, Wharton Place is one of Virginia’s outstanding examples of the Federal style, appearing somewhat uncomfortably urbane in its isolated rural setting. Of special note are its mantels trimmed with applied classical-style composition ornaments signed by Robert Wellford of Philadelphia. Wellford supplied ornaments for fine houses throughout the eastern seaboard. His designs were based on contemporary English examples.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018