Built around 1859, the modest, two-story Locustville Academy retains many original interior and exterior elements of its construction including a one-story belfry, topped by a pyramidal roof. Still situated in a rural setting, the wooden building, with touches of Greek Revival-style elements, is the only such rural academy schoolhouse known to survive within the Eastern Shore’s Accomack County. The two-room school, with interiors well-lit by windows, served the seaside rural community of Locustville from 1859 to 1879 and then reopened to students in 1908. It continued operating into 1926, when Accomack County consolidated its schools. The Locustville Academy property also has an early-20th-century water pump.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark