The detailing, the refined proportions, and finely crafted brickwork combine to make Malvern one of Albermarle County’s most polished works of the Federal style. A distinctive characteristic is the side-passage plan with a formal three-bay facade on the gabled south end which originally had an entrance. The main cornice is treated with a series of pendants, a detail likely inspired by an illustration in Asher Benjamin’s Country Builder’s Assistant (1805). The highlight of the interior is a delicate Federal stair with its unsupported upper flight. The house was built ca. 1800 by Mehan Mills, son-in-law of Jack Jouett. Mills owned Malvern until 1811; from 1812 to 1891 it was the property of the White family. A later owner was Benjamin Wheeler, a mayor of Charlottesville, who lived there from 1902 to 1910. In 1968 the house was restored under the direction of architectural historian Clay Lancaster.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark