Located in the Keswick area of Albemarle County, La Fourche comprises two sections and multiple periods of construction. The ca. 1800 tavern, originally named “Traveler’s Grove,” become the rear wing of a newly constructed Italianate farmhouse around 1860. Though modern renovations have concealed much of the early-19th-century fabric of La Fourche, the current dwelling fully embodies the significant mid-19th- and early 20th-century architectural alterations and additions that transformed the meandering farmhouse into a stylish dwelling with dominant Colonial Revival ornamentation. La Fourche fits into the context of other country houses in Albemarle County that were altered in the early 20th century to become more visually prominent and architecturally refined.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark