The Scottsville Tire Cord Plant Historic District is a 24-acre industrial campus located just west of the southern Albemarle County town of Scottsville. The district features an evolved textile plant, originally constructed in 1944, and several secondary industrial resources that served the plant including a power plant, smokestack, and water tower that are contemporary with the main plant, as well as several warehouses, sheds, gatehouses, and other structures and buildings. Although primarily typical of the Commercial Industrial style, the main plant building also features Moderne stylistic influences common of World War II-era buildings, especially those that were Federally funded. The Scottsville Tire Cord Plant remains remarkably intact, is representative of a half-century of industrial rubber cord production, and once was one of the largest employers for Scottsville, Albemarle County, and the surrounding counties of Fluvanna, Buckingham, and Nelson. The plant was constructed by the United States Defense Plant Corporation during World War II to increase the production of rubber to meet wartime needs. Following the war, the U.S. Rubber Company purchased the plant and continued operations through several mid-20th-century corporate mergers. At the time of its construction, the plant was considered state-of-the-art for textile production. The large, open, windowless building utilized fluorescent lighting and modern machinery to increase efficiency. As reliance on the automobile increased throughout the 20th century, demand for rubber tires and the tire cord that strengthened them continued to increase.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark