Situated to command broad vistas of the panoramic landscape of Browns Cove, at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in western Albemarle County, Mount Fair’s dwelling is a handsome specimen of builder’s Greek Revival adapted for a Virginia gentry residence. The little-altered Greek Revival house was built in 1848-49, employing trim and details based on illustrations in Asher Benjamin’s Practical House Carpenter (1830). A distinguishing feature of Mount Fair is the balustraded lantern giving daylight to the attic stairwell. The house originally served an 800-acre estate belonging to William T. Brown who built the present house on the site of his father’s house which burned in 1846. In 1930 Mount Fair became the home of Edmund S. Campbell, first dean of the University of Virginia’s School of Architecture.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark