For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 03/16/2005
NRHP Listing Date 05/07/2014
NRHP Reference Number 05000483
Master architect Benjamin Charles Baker was the force behind Pantops Farm, an excellent example of Colonial Revival domestic architecture built in 1938 just east of the city of Charlottesville in Albemarle County. The main building is an asymmetrical, but balanced plan, centered on a symmetrical five-bay, two-story main block, flanked by balanced asymmetrical lateral wings, and terminated lateral wings of a very different composition. The entire configuration, except for the arcade, is built of brick and roofed with slate. The Guest House, which features an attached ornamental brick silo, was designed and built by Baker at the same time as the main house. Like the main house, the Guest House was intended to appear as an evolved complex, but in fact it was planned and built in a single campaign. The Guest House and an incinerator structure are the only surviving outbuildings at Pantops. Currently, the guesthouse spaces at Pantops Farm are used as lodging for visiting scholars to the museum that is housed today in the main building.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: December 30, 2021