Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

002-0145 Buck Mountain Church

Buck Mountain Church
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 08/15/1972

Although moved, this simple house of worship, untouched by stylistic devices or symbolic trappings, is a rare surviving example of the wooden Anglican parish churches scattered through Virginia during the colonial period. Placed in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains to serve Fredericksville Parish, the Blue Mountain Church was begun in 1747, five years after the parish was formed. Abandoned after the disestablishment, the building was used for Baptist services from 1801 until it was reacquired by a rejuvenated Episcopal congregation in 1833. In 1859 the church was moved two miles east of the original location. It once was thought that the length was reduced during the relocation but the present building retains the approximate dimensions specified by the parish vestry in 1745. Most of the framing along with some early beaded weatherboards and interior trim were reused.
[VLR Listed Only]


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated February 6, 2019