The house at Arrowhead was expanded in 1857 and again in the early 1900s soon after the property was acquired by the Rev. Edgar Woods. Woods a descendant of one of the county’s first settlers, founded Pantops Academy in Charlottesville and wrote what is still one of Virginia’s most respected local county histories: Albemarle County in Virginia (1901). His son, Samuel Baker Woods, to whom Arrowhead was transferred in 1892, was an attorney and orchardist. He served as Charlottesville’s first 20th-century mayor and was first president of the Virginia Horticultural Society. Preserved on the property is an important collection of early outbuildings. The kitchen outbuilding may date from the 1820s when the Arrowhead property was owned by Dr. Charles E. and Frances E. Meriwether.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark