For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 03/17/1981
NRHP Listing Date 09/23/1982
NRHP Reference Number 82004534
Guthrie Hall is perhaps Albemarle County’s largest and most architecturally individual country mansion, resulting from the influx of plutocrats into the area around the turn of the 20th century. With its porticoes, loggias, quadrant wings, and conspicuous wide arch framing the entrance, the massive house combines Georgian Revival, Palladian, and Rustic influences. Its construction incorporates concrete floors and concrete walls whose exterior surfaces are embedded with quartz stone. Guthrie Hall was erected ca. 1901 for John Guthrie Hopkins, a Scottish-born, self-made copper magnate who came to Virginia to pursue his hobby of restoring old houses. The house was designed by Frederick Hill, an architect with the firm of McKim, Mead, and White; the engineer was Fred Kennedy. In addition to the finely-appointed interiors of the main house, the estate boasted a bowling alley as well as a private railroad station. Guthrie Hall is located in the Southern Albemarle Rural Historic District.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: December 12, 2019