For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 02/20/1990
NRHP Listing Date 01/25/1991
NRHP Reference Number 90002163
The central portion of the grand country house at Blue Ridge Farm was built ca. 1870 for William B. Smith, on an Albemarle County property owned in the 18th century by the Epperson family. Between 1923 and 1927, well-known architect William Lawrence Bottomley was retained by Mr. and Mrs. Randolph Ortman to make additions and refinements. Bottomley skillfully transformed the dwelling into a masterpiece of the Georgian Revival style. Several of his trademark features here are the high-quality brickwork and woodwork, the open staircase, and a progression from light to dark interior spaces. Especially noteworthy is the elegant detailing of the Georgian-style trim in the principal rooms. Richmond landscape architect Charles F. Gillette was responsible for the park-like grounds and English-style gardens that take advantage of sweeping views of the countryside. The combination of Bottomley’s and Gillette’s talents resulted in one of Virginia’s most beautiful country estates. Blue Ridge Farm contributes to the listed Greenwood-Afton Rural Historic District.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: July 26, 2022