For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 09/20/2012
NRHP Listing Date 01/14/2013
NRHP Reference Number 12001186
Located in the western portion of Albemarle County near Charlottesville, the Gothic Revival-style St. James Church, constructed in 1896, is a remarkably well-preserved building. Never altered by the later installation of plumbing or electricity, the church’s notable features include arched windows and transom, wainscoting, and original pews. Long associated with the locally prominent Garth family, many of whose family members are buried in the church’s two cemeteries, at the time of its listing, St. James Church was still owned and maintained by Garth family descendants through the Trustees of St. James Church.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: December 24, 2022