For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 03/14/2001
NRHP Listing Date 07/13/2001
NRHP Reference Number 01000688
The Anchorage is a substantial brick farmhouse that evolved over a half century, possibly beginning as early as 1826. It was owned first by the Lewis and Howell families and for more than 125 years by John White and his descendants. The house is characterized by flamboyant Victorian embellishments, including Gothic Revival interior woodwork, elaborate porches with scroll-sawn ornament, unusual Italianate octagonal columns, and both real and false windows enriched with wooden pediments resting on brackets. The Anchorage is located in a bucolic setting in central Albemarle County that includes a barn and family cemetery in the midst of rolling fields surrounded by hills and mountain vistas.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: October 5, 2021