The architecture of the country house of Bellevue spans over 150 years and reflects several different periods of ownership. The 1859 core is a well-preserved mix of Greek Revival and early Italianate forms. Dominating the composition is a pedimented portico with paired columns. Brick wings with elaborate Adam-style mantels were added around 1913 by Quincy Adams Shaw II, brother-in-law of Nancy Langhorne, later Lady Astor. The rear wing, gardens, and most of the agricultural and service buildings date from the ownership of Col. Herman Danforth Newcomb, a native of Kentucky, who transformed Bellevue into one of the county’s best known equestrian estates. The various outbuildings and farm buildings mostly date from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. An oddity of the Bellevue garden is a ca. 1913 underground stone room built into one of the garden terraces and likely intended for entertainment.
Listed in 1991 under the historic name of Wavertree Hall Farm, additional research was submitted and accepted by the National Register in 1999 officially changing the name of this property to Bellevue. It is located in the Greenwood-Afton Rural Historic District.
[NRHP Approved: 4/2/1999]
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark