Kenmore Farm, located just west of the town of Amherst in Amherst County, was established in 1856 by Samuel Meredith Garland as a farmstead to raise livestock and crops. The property, originally called “Mountain Home,” features a Greek Revival-style main house. After the Civil War, from 1872 until 1889, new owner Henry Aubrey Strode operated the Kenmore University High School, a respected preparatory school that provided a practical secondary education for young men bound for studies specifically at the University of Virginia. The school was briefly re-opened by Strode’s son, Aubrey Ellis Strode, in 1896 but closed permanently in 1899. In addition to its main house, Kenmore Farm includes a collection of historic outbuildings and structures that recall the property’s dual historic uses as an active farm and as a one-time preparatory school.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark