At the heart of the Royster C. Parr farmstead in Amherst County is a well-preserved vernacular farmhouse constructed in 1843, to which a rear ell was added in 1860. Today the house retains original elements of both the Federal and Greek Revival styles, found particularly in its original main block. The later additions, harmonious in scale, with simpler decorative elements, preserve the original workmanship of the house. The property also encompasses significant historic outbuildings, three of which—a circa 1890 detached kitchen, a smokehouse, and a 1935 woodshed—are connected to the main house by narrow concrete walks. Two more structures—a circa 1890 frame tobacco barn and a 1935 machine shop—also contribute historically to the property and illustrate its continued and evolving use as a working farmstead during the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark