For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 09/17/1974
NRHP Listing Date 11/19/1974
NRHP Reference Number 74002105
This graceful example of masonry engineering is a relic of the now abandoned Valley Railroad line between Staunton and Lexington. The four-arch bridge across Folly Mills Creek was erected in 1884 and is maintained as a scenic landmark for travelers along Interstate Highway 81 by the Virginia Department of Transportation. The bridge is built with rough-faced granite ashlar with smooth-face ashlar employed in the soffits of the arches. The arches are supported on gently tapered stone piers. The Valley Railroad was later absorbed by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. This branch was discontinued in 1942 and the tracks have since been removed.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: October 1, 2021