Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

007-0539 Walker's Creek Schoolhouse

Walker's Creek Schoolhouse
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 12/11/1984

NRHP Listing Date 02/27/1985

NRHP Reference Number 85000396

Though remodeled and expanded through conversion into a private residence, this barely noticeable little building is one of the oldest remaining schoolhouses in Augusta County, and is the only-know school of log construction. At the time of the establishment of the free public school system in 1870, Augusta County had 115 log schools; the number dwindled to ten by 1890. Built in the 1850s, the Walker Creek School was purchased for $30.00 by the county school board in 1873 and functioned as a one-room school until the consolidation of public schools in the Newport area in the early 1900s. It was sold by the school board for $155.00 in 1948. The nearly square plan reflects the form commonly used for one-room schools.

VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018