Despite efforts to provide free public schooling for all Virginia children, racial segregation usually resulted in African American students receiving second-rate facilities. Augusta County was no exception. White students were accommodated in up-to-date, brick-built consolidated schools in the 1910s and 1920s, but a consolidated school for blacks, of hardly comparable quality, was not built until 1938. Originally called Cedar Green School, the Augusta County Training School, a frame building of only three rooms, was the county’s first black consolidated school. Even then African Americans contributed much of the land and labor. The school’s focus was on vocational rather than academic education, but offering mainly carpentry and manual arts. Integration caused the school to close in 1964. The main building was converted into an American Legion hall, and the shop building remained relatively unaltered. Listed under the Public Schools in Augusta County, 1870-1940, Multiple Property Documentation.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia