The one-room country school in Augusta County is an American icon. Though an educational facility could hardly be more rudimentary, thousands of these humble structures provided the fundamentals of education to America’s children for over a century. Built in 1885, the Mount Meridian Schoolhouse is among the few remaining and least altered of the numerous one-room schools that dotted Augusta County in the late 19th century. It was constructed by the Middle River School Board and was expanded to two rooms by 1890. Like most, the building was heated by a central stove and never had interior plumbing. The school closed in 1908 and was sold into private ownership. It was rented as a dwelling in the 1930s and 1940s, but now stands unused in a cow pasture. The extra classroom has since been removed, returning the building to its original form. The Mt. Meridian Schoolhouse was listed in the registers under the Public Schools of Augusta County MPD.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark