Built in 1925, the New Hope High School was among the first modern high schools in Augusta County and is the best-preserved example of the first group of central auditorium-plan consolidated schools of the 1920s. New Hope’s design conforms to one of the standard plans of the state’s Division of School Buildings, the “18-F Special,” an expanded version of the “18-F,” entitled “Standard One-Story Eight-Room School, Unexcavated.” The revised plan incorporated many of the new specialized spaces suggested for modern high schools including a library, office, stage, and home economics room. The distinctive architecture reflects the emerging emphasis on functional design for public works. The school was built by the Eustler Brothers of Grottoes, who also built three similar schools for the county. The school was converted into an elementary school in 1947, at which time the modernistic front canopy was added. New Hope Elementary School closed in the early 1990s. The school was listed in the registers under the Public Schools in Augusta County MPD.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark