Although converted to an elementary school in 1968-69, the North River High School was a landmark in Virginia public education as Augusta County’s, and indeed the state’s, first consolidated high school. Opened in 1936, the school grew out of a concern for the crowding and inadequate facilities in the many small high schools in the various districts. Better road conditions made such a centralized high school possible and North River represented a consolidation of the high school classes of four districts, leaving elementary classes in the existing buildings. Employing the central auditorium plan, the new school was a straightforward design, one provided by the state Division of School Buildings. It included a library, offices, laboratory, and a home economics department. Agricultural classes were taught in a detached building. The North River High School was enlarged in 1942, but the original, three-part façade remained essentially unchanged at the time of its listing in the registers. The North River High School was replaced with a new elementary school building ca. 2000.
North River High School was listed under the Public Schools of Augusta County MPD.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark