Virginia State Seal Virginia Department of Historic Resources

007-1165 Mt. Zion Schoolhouse *Delisted

Mt. Zion Schoolhouse
Photo credit: Calder Loth/DHR, 1997

*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 12/11/1984

NRHP Listing Date 02/27/1985

NRHP Reference Number 85000392

Providing no more than was absolutely necessary for basic elementary schooling in a rural area, the Mount Zion Schoolhouse is, nonetheless, Augusta County’s least altered two-room schoolhouse built as such. It was completed in 1876 and remained in use as an Augusta County public school until 1942. By 1880 the school served sixty-five pupils with an average daily attendance of thirty-four. In its last years of operation, only one classroom, serving grades one through four, was in use. Grades five through seven were bussed to a neighboring consolidated school and their former classroom was used for storing wood and the water bucket. The building was sold by the county in 1948 and converted into a residence, but with little change to the exterior. It has since been demolished.

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated: August 6, 2021