For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 12/11/1984
NRHP Listing Date 02/27/1985
NRHP Reference Number 85000395
The three-room public school marked an advance in rural education in Virginia counties in the early 20th century. Its predecessor one-room school evolved into the two-room school in the 1880s. The two-room schools were usually divided into the primary room serving grades one through three, and the secondary room for grades four through seven. The three-room school included a room often used for high school grades. Although the Augusta County School Board built a number of three-room schools, the 1911 Verona School is the only one remaining. Here, however, only grades one through five were taught. The plan consisted of two classrooms flanking a center hall with the third classroom in an ell. The school closed in the 1940s. Around 1956 the Verona School building was moved back from the highway to serve as the manager’s residence of a motel.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: June 1, 2022