This Brunswick County tract overlooking the Meherrin River contains the archaeological remains of Fort Christanna, begun in 1714 by Governor Alexander Spotswood to house an Indian School and trading center, and to serve as a defense against unfriendly tribes. Within the tract is the site of a Sappony Indian village complex, home of approximately 300 Indians who chose to remain here after the House of Burgesses voted to abandon maintenance of the fort in 1718. Also here is the site of a residence of Governor Spotswood, built to encourage growth and settlement of what was then a remote frontier area. Other 18th-century sites probably are located within the area. The worn remains of what are believed to be the fort’s earthworks are now covered with trees and undergrowth.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark