This Federal-style plantation house near the Meherrin River in Brunswick County was built in 1810 by the Revolutionary War Colonel John (“Hellcat”) Jones, Jr. It was noted for its fine brickwork and intricately detailed Federal woodwork. A fire in June 1974, sparked by plumbing work during restoration work within the frame wing of the house, destroyed all but the brick chimneys.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark