The Campbell County Training School, also known historically as the Rustburg School, is located in the courthouse town of Rustburg. The school began in 1922 with construction of an H-shaped building with two parallel wings each housing two classrooms, a so-called four-teacher school. In the early 1930s, the Rustburg School expanded to become a training school by adding three buildings and three additional teachers. The first buildings constructed for the complex cost $7,500 of which the local African-American community contributed $800, the county school board, $5,600, and the Rosenwald Fund, $1,100. Standing today on their original sites, the buildings retain most of their historic building materials. The four one-story frame buildings are likely the only surviving four-building Rosenwald training complex in Virginia. The training school served students through 1968, when the county began integrating its public schools.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark