For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 03/18/1975
NRHP Listing Date 06/05/1975
NRHP Reference Number 75002108
Built between 1720 and 1757 during the tenure of the Rev. Peter Fontaille, the Glebe of Westover Parish in Charles City County served the clergymen of its venerable parish until 1805, when the General Assembly required the sale of Virginia’s church lands. Like other extant glebe houses, Westover’s exhibits the fine masonry and careful proportions employed in the churches with which they were associated. Many of the glebe houses were retrimmed after their sale into private ownership, indicating either that they originally were very simply appointed or had fallen into bad condition by the time of their sale. This blending of architectural periods is discernible at the Glebe of Westover Parish, where the Federal trim in the windows, entrance, and interior contrasts with the mid-18th-century brick walls, neatly laid in glazed-header Flemish bond.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: August 29, 2022