Patrick Henry, “Orator of the Revolution,” assembled his isolated Charlotte County plantation of Red Hill through successive purchases of alluvial bottomlands and undulating countryside, making it his final home. Here he built a modest frame dwelling with a complement of outbuildings, including his law office. The house, later incorporated into a larger structure, was destroyed by fire in 1919, but its original, irregular form has since been reconstructed. Henry’s simple law office remains intact. Nearby is the family cemetery containing the graves of the Revolutionary patriot and his second wife, Dorothea Dandridge Henry. The Red Hill property remained in the ownership of Henry family descendants until 1944 when it was purchased by the Patrick Henry Memorial Foundation, which has since developed the property as a museum.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark